Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **August 2011**

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **August 2011**

Yowza! August 2011's contest blossomed into an enormous thread--at 17 pages long with over 480 replies, it was by far our biggest yet (and that's not even counting several e-mailed submissions)!

I suppose it had something to do with subject matter that's near and dear to us all...cartoons! The competition was all about cartoon crossovers, and our resident artists all worked extra hard to deliver tons of excellent results. It was not an easy task sifting through the many quality submissions to choose the final nominees. Due to the huge amount of fun stuff this month, we've expanded the usual nominee roundup (10) to be 50% bigger! So here are our favorite 15 from a month packed with goodness. Get ready for a trip down memory lane!

Ame-Nami's entry -- based on Yu-Gi-Oh!

Geez! Ame-Nami put forth some serious effort in this Kirby/Yu-Gi-Oh crossover, and we think everyone can agree that the end result is worth it. I'm actually not very familiar with the show in question, but I can certainly appreciate the outstanding work in altering the main characters to fit the Kirby cast. It's a highly professional piece and a great use of the theme!

Baltarouzz's entry -- based on The Super Mario Bros. Super Show

Do the Kirby! *stompstompstompstompstomp*
    This piece sort of confused me at first--a video game crossover with a cartoon based on another video game...it's like one of those "divided by zero" things. Anyway, it looks great and the creative inversion of the contest theme made it stand out for us. Nice work from returning artist Baltarouzz!

Clandy's entry -- based on Johnny Bravo

Whoaaaa, mamma! Snake's pullin' out the big moves to impress that lovely Samus. Clandy nails the look of the charming '90's "Cartoon Cartoon" and the mix of Snake with Johnny Bravo is a great idea. "Check the glutes--huah, huah, huah! Man, I'm pretty."

danstanator97's entry -- based on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Not only do the Nintendo characters fit into their Foster's counterparts very well I'm particularly fond of Bloo-Kirby and Coco-Yoshi), but the double-meaning on "imaginary friends" is a nice touch. And it captures the whimsical, soft look of the show as well!

Deckard Canine's entry -- based on Beavis and Butt-Head

"Uhh huh huh. Uhhh huh huh. This...uhhh, art is like, pretty cool and stuff. It's got like, me with a bat. Uhh huh huh. And Lucas is being a dork."

"No way, Ness! Heh heh. Heh heh. I look cool. I'm like, shooting fffire all over the place. It rules!"

"Like, the rest of these art entries don't have us in it. And that sucks. Uhh huh huh. There should be more pictures of me and Lucas, like, walking around town, and picking up chicks and stuff. Uhh huh huh. And kicking Porky's butt."

"Heh heh. You said 'pork'."

"Uhhhh. Oh yeah. Uhhh huh huh."

Leafeon95's entry -- based on Adventure Time With Finn and Jake

Algebraic! Leafeon brings us this totally math piece of work that's all about saving princesses and having a good time in the process. The Rainicorn as Daisy is a nice touch when you consider that Jake (Luigi) is dating her. Nice job on a colorful entry! The fun will never end, it's adventure time!

Mr.Saturn's entry -- based on Dragon Ball Z

Yellow hair! Four-episode fights! Scouters! Meme overload! It's Dragon Ball Z, comin' at ya with a brutal brawl between Kirby (Goku) and Frieza (Waluigi)! That saiyan hair reminds me of Flame Kirby. This has got a nice cartoony style, fitting for the contest, and it's always nice to see some color pencils in the mix.

pablosk8's entries -- based on Phineas and Ferb; Invader Zim

Pablosk8 entered a number of entries, and we thought these were good enough to both be featured. First up is a full-on parody of one of my favorite newer cartoons, Phineas and Ferb! The character choices are inspired, and I'm impressed with how well Candace transformed into Bowser there, determined to bust those bros. There's a fun nod to the first BitF comic as well, with Kirby's Perry look. I like to think that Pablosk was sitting under a tree contemplating what to submit for the contest, when suddenly he gets hit with inspiration: "I know what I'm gonna do today!" Lovely entry!

The Invader Zim artwork of doom squeezes in plenty of characters and references to the pilot episode of the twisted Nickelodeon show, and captures the style of it nicely in the process. I can imagine a metallic Waddle Dee (WIR?) underneath that Yoshi outfit, and the Dib-Meta Knight is a crossover that fits surprisingly well!

SonicStar23750's entry -- based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really smitten with the whole pony craze, but this entry is certainly a worthy submission! As far as I can tell, a wide variety of characters from the popular cartoon is represented here with numerous multicolored Yoshis--due to their build and numerous colors, it's a great idea for a crossover! And the numerous poses and expressions are drawn well and have a lot of personality.

Sioli's entry -- based on Fullmetal Alchemist

Sioli really went outside the box with this Fullmetal Alchemist image. Link is a pretty logical choice for Edward, but the reinterpretation of Samus is quite a sight to behold! And as evidenced by Wario and Samus behind them, Nintendo's cast is diverse enough to fit a wide variety of characters! Some cool ideas and experimentation all-around here.

Spacepig22's entry -- based on Dexter's Laboratory

Whoa, E. Gadd got off on the wrong side of the bed! I guess he's sick of Luigi always stumbling in, needing help to get rid of a slew of ghosts. It's pretty scary how closely Gadd physically resembles Dexter when you think about it, but Spacepig's doe-eyed, long-legged Luigi is quite an amusing sight in its own right. "Mama mia, what-a does this button-a do?"

Spazboy225's entry -- based on He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

By the power of Gray Fox, Snake's half-naked manliness returns to us courtesy of Spazboy225. As always from this artist, the art style is nice and clean, and there are few characters who'd fit the incredibly masculine moniker of "He-Man" as well as ol' Snake. Maybe if his Johnny Bravo-esque escapades further up didn't impress Samus, this mighty display might?

T-3000's entry -- based on The Powerpuff Girls

Once again, the day is saved, thanks to Samus, Peach, and Zelda! T-3000's style meshes surprisingly well with the Tartovsky look and makes for a nicely authentic-looking image. It looks like the girls' counterparts were picked more for their hair colors than their personalities, because I could also definitely see Samus being the tougher one (Buttercup, I think?), Peach as the nicer one (Bubbles, I think), and Zelda as the leader (Barnaby? No wait, Blossom).

Tyrannigon64's entry -- based on Dora the Explorer

Tyrannigon gives us a detailed look at the difficulty of your average Zelda puzzle! Ah, I kid the series. But this entry made me laugh out loud, and that's always worth points in my book. It's quite a creative approach to this contest's cartoon theme and fits nicely with the obviousness of some gaming puzzles. (but really Zelda, give us some tougher challenges!)

Okay!

So that's that! While a number of these entries could've taken the crown in a less-crowded month, as always, we can only pick one. So without further ado, our winner for August 2011 is...

Ame-Nami's entry!

All things considered, jaws were dropped. Toilets flushed. Somewhere off in the distance, a dog barked. Ame-Nami delivered a really slick piece of art with all the trimmings here. The little Kirby-esque details are a nice touch (the human-form Kirby, the Star Rod, Meta Knight's shoulder pads, the reimagining of Dedede's cloak, Zero's bleeding eye and halo, Dark Matter's human-form sword earring [now that's detail!], etc) but even beyond that, the linework, coloring, composition, and general use of the theme are all top-notch and must've taken tons of time to hammer down. Congratulations, Ame-Nami on a wonderful entry!

And thanks to everyone who participated in the most jam-packed contest yet! It was quite a challenge to go through it all, but it was certainly fun to see what you guys cooked up. The full thread of entries can be found here, and our current contest ("The Secret Life of Villains") is right here!
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Banned

Re: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **August 2011**

Ame won and I didn't make runner-up. Not surprised in the least.

Well, what an unexpected finish...

Well contratulations Yami-yugi (sorry Ame-Nami), that was just perfect :D

well at least runner up ^2. And you were right there was a WIR inside the yoshi costume (i was thinking of adding more panels showing WIR putting his costume but i leaved it that way)

... and by unexpected i meant, completely expected XD
    Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
    Behold, the Melt-inator 6-5000! It has a melting capacity... of 7! That's on a scale from 1 to 5, so that's a big number.
    I promise to hurt you the right way, with cartoonish physical violence and elaboarte traps made out of strange things I bought over the internet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spoiler: *Hola* 

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

Was there ever any doubt?
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

Quote Originally Posted by Spazboy225 View Post
    Was there ever any doubt?
    at least the runner ups seem very masculine despite the thread...
    Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
    Behold, the Melt-inator 6-5000! It has a melting capacity... of 7! That's on a scale from 1 to 5, so that's a big number.
    I promise to hurt you the right way, with cartoonish physical violence and elaboarte traps made out of strange things I bought over the internet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spoiler: *Hola* 

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablosk8 View Post
    at least the runner ups seem very masculine despite the thread...
    Sadly, I feel they'll try to continue the trend...
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

Expect to see me... sometimes? Koj09's Avatar

Congratulations to Ame-Nami and all the runner-ups!

I liked Clandy's, Mr. Saturn's and Leafeons entries in terms of personal liking and Ame-Nami' in terms of effort. Setiously, that was...that was...

That was better than anything I could do. There.

Again, congratulations to all!!!

A geology student on an adventure! OrangeOctopi's Avatar

No runner up for me, not that I'm surprised, it's only my first time.
    Great job everyone, this contest was so much fun to look at everyone's entries!
    Hey everybody it's not Chuggaaconroy!

Quote of the now-> Tony Stark: That man is actually playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. -The Avengers

Games I love: Poke'mon Crystal, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, BanjoKazooie, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Harvest Moon 64, Paper Mario... and the list goes on.
    All Super Smash Bros. games are kind of a given.

I'm a Mormon, I'm a Christian. Mormons are Christians. Please get your facts straight.

And FYI, I'm a girl. Just so ya know.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

Whatever happens, happens. Forum Veteran Mkan's Avatar

I would just like to say that Ame-Nami's entry blew me away and was very professionally done.

The marvelous attention to detail, shading, and linework was stunning, and blew me away as soon as I saw it.

She very much deserves the title, and I think she did a great job on it.
    by JSG

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... yes ... T-3000's Avatar

Actually I went by the color of their clothes. Blossom and Peach are Pink, Bubbles and Samus are Blue, and Buttercup is green but I needed Zelda in there.

Ame-Nami won, who would have guessed, Nice job .
    Come to my

Or be my friend here
    ... or not...

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

C'mon, we all knew that Ame was going to win.

Anyways, congrats to ya'll!
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

You hear that? That is the sound of how invalid your arguement is. dfrogmatt's Avatar
    Either chillin' in Costa Rica or dead... probably both!

Quote Originally Posted by GigaNerd17 View Post
    Same here... But Congratulations anyway! This calls for a gathering of celebratory fashions!
    I'm a goofy goober YEAH
    Kirby Dance! <("<) <( " )> (>")>

Don't be afraid to give me any comments, feedback, or chocolate milkshakes... Mmm... yes.

Say? Do YOU like hilarious videos? Of course you do. Why don't you just go ahead and click on this link: http://dashingfrog.tumblr.com See what I did there? Dashing Frog --> dfrog + my name is Matt= dfrogmatt!

Consider me lurking sevenstitch's Avatar

Congrats to Ame-Nami, and I am happy to not see my entry up in the contenders.
    Seriously, what was I thinking? "My Little Ganny?" Pbbht.

Congrats, Ame-Nami! Man, that is some serious art right there! (And of course everyone knew right away that you would win, ha ha. )

Whoa! I got runner-up! *o*
    That's my first runner-up, so I'm really happy. ;u;

And congrats to all the other runner-ups, too! I liked a lot of entries for this contest. ^-^
    I beat KH2 with 11 different Handicaps! Kingdom Hearts RULES! <3

I beat the 1000 Heartless Battle without Reaction Commands, in Proud Mode, at lvl. 36-38, Kingdom Keyblade only, no Armor, only 3 potions and 2 eithers, and a bunch of other handicaps. It means a lot to me that I did that. :3

Congrats to Ame-Nami and all the runner ups.

I definitely have to say that Ame-Nami's piece deserves to win. It was drawn incredibly well, and I LOVE how the characters were matched up.

Good job everyone though, I really liked this competition. A lot of good entries.

Know my power ... in art. SonicStar23750's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    SonicStar23750's entry -- based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really smitten with the whole pony craze, but this entry is certainly a worthy submission! As far as I can tell, a wide variety of characters from the popular cartoon is represented here with numerous multicolored Yoshis--due to their build and numerous colors, it's a great idea for a crossover! And the numerous poses and expressions are drawn well and have a lot of personality.
    This is pretty much my reaction for getting even Honourable Mention FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER:

I"M SO HAPPY!

Anyways, I did have a feeling that Ame-Nami would win when that entry was posted, so ... congratulations.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm a bigger PnF fan than a MLP fan, so I'm glad that pablosk8's PnF entry made it in the Top 15, but I'm kinda dissapointed that Doofenshmirtz didn't make it with his (No, the user, not the mad scientist).

EDIT (AGAIN): I just noticed something (I don't know if anyone else noticed before me, though). Three of the Honourable Mentions are based off of Lauren Faust's three famous cartoon masterpieces! I bet if she saw this, she'd be proud.
    Last edited by SonicStar23750; October 10th, 2011 at 01:08 PM.

Star Warrior

After seven months, it's great to be among the runners-up again! And I dig TFB's dialog response.

Cute Little Poot

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Not only do the Nintendo characters fit into their Foster's counterparts very well I'm particularly fond of Bloo-Kirby and Coco-Yoshi), but the double-meaning on "imaginary friends" is a nice touch. And it captures the whimsical, soft look of the show as well!
    ...what double-meaning?

Congrats to Ame and all other runner-ups!

I want a helicopter Super-Flint's Avatar

I wanted to enter this one with something Bleach-Legend of Zelda but I didn't get round to it... Might be for the best anyway... It's a bit of an obvious one seeing That Orange haired bloke squaring off against Fierce Diety Link.

anyway I haven't even seen half of that stuff But I like what I've seen. (Haven't watched Invader Zim in Forever, much Less Johnny Bravo)

Quote Originally Posted by GigaNerd17 View Post
    Eeyup. But oh well, I had fun making mine.

Congrats Ame-Nami on yours!

Team Fortress Two in a nutshell.

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danstanator97 View Post
    ...what double-meaning?

Congrats to Ame and all other runner-ups!
    I was mostly referring to how the Nintendo characters technically fit into the realm of "imaginary" since they're all fiction/not real already. Probably unintentional, but something about that worked for me.

Upon a reread, I also used the word "numerous" too many times in SonicStar's writeup!
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Oh my god, Ame why do you always amaze us all the time.
    Congrats to all, and personally that is the best entry yet in all of the contests.

Come on, we all knew Ame-Nami's entry was going to win the second it was posted.
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

Well, at this point I really don't know what I'm supposed to say :3
    But congrats to the runner-ups and thanks for all the compliments! I really put a ridiculous amount of time into my entry and I'm glad people like it so much! :D

And one thing to TB, I remember posting a note on the second or third page of the July contest asking for a cartoon crossover month. Are you really that super-cool and awesome to take up the request or was it just an incredible coincidence?

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

Thread Information